MY GCI EXPERIENCE WITH GOOGLE AND WIKIMEDIA

First of all I would like to thank Google, Wikimedia and other organisation for organizing such a grand event online. This online event it helping the undergraduate a lot, to understand their limits.

I am Anurag De of Class 9. I am 14 years old and I am from India: A developing country. I came to know about this grand event happening Online from my friends and they even assisted to participate in it. My first task was to install Ubuntu in my local Computer, but I was having some problem while I was trying to Install Ubuntu 15.04 , so I had a chat with the mentors ad they said me to try to install it virtually, and I was successful in installing it, and this is how i completed my first task. The experience and support that I got is unforgettable. Like his I have completed 7 tasks and the experience and the memory is priceless. After completing three tasks I won a T-Shirt.

While completing their seven tasks I had to abandon few tasks because , sometimes I didn't time for completing the task , or I was unable to understand how to do a certain step and many times the mentors took much time to approve the task  and as i have joined late so I didn't want to waste much time. The time they took to approve my one task in that time I can complete others tasks.

My 5TH task was to add an Instrument which in not in Wiki data, Generally what happens is if any Indian Student can't find anything then he or she searches it in Wiki data and in my case he reverse had happen, there I had to do some research and find instrument that is not in wiki data, and after going every day to my nearest library i got a instrument and finally I did enough research about and finished my task. It was really a hectic for me to complete this task, I nearly gave up on this task, I even asked my school music teacher about it but they couldn’t help me at all.

Many times I had to chat with the mentors with the help of IRC (Internet Relay Chat), mailing list and Gerrit. I had never used any of these in my life earlier, his was the first time working with them and i had learned a lot with them. I have even subscribed to many of the newsletter and mailing list and joined many groups for the purpose of chatting with the mentor.
Thank you everyone for always being with me.


Creative Commons License

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Google Code-In Participation Experience